BIBLE READING PLANS
- Start with prayer. Praying before you read opens up our hearts, eyes, and ears, to hear what God may want to speak to you.
- Pick a time. Timing is everything. Pick a time when you’re most free and least distracted. Then do your best to read the same time every day.
- Pick a place. Pick a place where you are most at peace and least distracted. Then try and read in the same place each day.
- Disconnect. Put your phone on airplane mode or “do not disturb.” Also, try not to listen to music. The point is to disconnect from the noise, buzzing, and social updates. Trust us, the world won’t end in those 20 minutes.
- Follow a plan. There’s no right formula to reading the bible, just that you read it! Follow a realistic plan that fits your schedule. If you get behind, don’t let the guilt pile up, just jump back on board!
- Write your questions down! The bible can be confusing, and that’s ok! Every time you’re confused, it’s a chance to learn something. Don’t let questions distract you. Write them down and ask a parent, a pastor, or a friend about them later!
- Find a friend. Finding a friend to do it with can help you stay on track!
5 ways to dig deeper
Pause in your reading to dig into the Bible. Below are 5 different ways to dig deeper each day. These exercises will encourage meditation. Try a single idea for a week to find what works best for you. Remember to keep a pen and paper ready to capture God’s insights.
- Underline or highlight key words or phrases in the Bible passage. Use a pen or highlighter to mark new discoveries from the text.
- Put it in your own words. Read the passage or verse slowly, then rewrite each phrase or sentence using your own words.
- Ask and answer questions. Questions unlock new discoveries and meanings. Ask questions about the passage using these words: who,
what, why, when, where, or how. Jot down your answers to these questions.
- Capture the big idea. God’s Word communicates big ideas. Periodically
ask: What’s the big idea in this sentence, paragraph, or chapter?
- Personalize the meaning. Respond as God speaks to you through the Scriptures. Ask: How could my life be different today as I
respond to what I’m reading?